Monday, January 28, 2008

In Memoriam, Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008)

"I wish to exercise a personal privilege. Six months ago, at the close of our conference, I stated that my beloved companion of 67 years was seriously ill. She passed away two days later. It was April 6, a significant day to all of us of this Church. I wish to thank publicly the dedicated doctors and wonderful nurses who attended her during her final illness. My children and I were at her bedside as she slipped peacefully into eternity. As I held her hand and saw mortal life drain from her fingers, I confess I was overcome. Before I married her, she had been the girl of my dreams, to use the words of a song then popular. She was my dear companion for more than two-thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the girl of my dreams"--President Gordon B. Hinckley "The Women in Our Lives" Liahona, November 2004

Not a dream anymore. Congratulations on a life well-lived, in service of God and your fellow men. Rest peacefully. You will be missed. Thank you.

1 comment:

Sydney said...

Yes. I agree. I love that quote.