Sunday, January 20, 2008

Oh Canada

On Thursday, I went with some friends, including my favorite Canadian, Shelley, to a hockey game. The Edmonton Oilers were in town to take on the Washington Capitals. It was quite the game--very high-scoring for a hockey game. I could give you a full recap about it, but that would take a long time to write, so here's a brief synopsis. The Oilers came on strong in the first period, the Caps came back in the second. During the third period, there wasn't a whole lot of action until the final five minutes when the score was tied at 4-4 (I think). Then it got really intense. There was a five-minute, sudden-death overtime period, followed by a shootout that seemed to last forever, but finally the Caps made a shot, and that ended the game. Truly an exciting event. There was also a special salute to the Canadian troops, and they gave out free commemorative pucks--super fun!! Also, I learned a whole slew of interesting facts about Canada. Like, for instance, it's Kraft Dinner there, and not Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Oh, and I heard that there are more Mexicans in the US than there are Canadians in Canada (this may or may not be true).

Here are some photos for documentation of the game:

Some of the game-time action

Adam, Elaine, Sydney, me and Shelly

Shelley in her amazingly stylish, Canadian maple leaf toque

Shelley sneaked in some Canadian treats for us to share. This is a Mr. Big bar. It was a treat indeed.

So that's it folks. Each time I go to a hockey game, it gets more and more exciting. I am getting better at knowing the rules, and am enjoying the sport better. So, when they sing "The Good Ole' Hockey Game" I can't yet say, "it's the best game [I] can name" yet, but it's getting better.

3 comments:

Sydney said...

NICE!! Fun times. I'm actually surprised that you didn't include some other stunning photos. Are you keeping them for blackmail? haha.

Shelley said...

It is true... there ARE more Hispanics in US than Canadians in Canada. I forget where I heard it but it was a reliable source. Maybe it was on the back of a Kraft Dinner box! Ha! I think that picture of me in my toque needs to be burned. Yikes. It was a fun game. Thanks for coming!

Anonymous said...

Hey Darin!!!!

Long long time I don't post my comments over here!!! :)
That's true... I already heard about that - there are lots of Mexican and lately, it's known over here that Brazilian people, those who look for a better job opportunity abroad, they are choosing Canada and Australia because their dollar is "cheaper" for us, comparing to our currency (Real)... 1 real = US$1,80 and if I'm not wrong, 1 real = 1,20 (Canadian dollar).

I hope you have a great week and tomorrow's Monday keep greeting you with positive forecast (as for Horoscope).

Carol