Tuesday, July 1, 2008

One Year Older and Wiser Too, Happy Birthday to (well, me)

So, I had a birthday (shout hooray!!). Yesterday, I officially entered into my late twenties. I've complained for weeks that 27 seemed so old, but now it's here, and I don't really feel any different than when I turned, say 23.
I have to say though, that 27 was really a good birthday. I had been bracing myself for what I thought would be a pretty lame-o day. This because most of the people with whom I spend most of my time are in various parts of the country (or the planet). And I figured that most of my other friends didn't really know that it was my birthday (I know, It's hard being Darin--spoken in a gloomy, Eyeore voice).
Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I got to Skype with Mel and that was good. I had received a couple of comments on Facebook saying Happy Birthday and all. I got to work and got emails and calls--even a few people singing to me over the phone. Throughout the day, a whole bunch of people posted birthday greetings on my Facebook wall. And I spent lots of time im-ing with friends (not that there's a whole lot different there from any other day, but this time they said "happy birthday" to me).
Come lunch time. Some of us went out to lunch. We went to Chevy's and enjoyed some tasty Mexican (pronounced MeHEcan) food. Our group training manager insisted that the people there sing to my boss Tripop and me (which, when does that go from being the highlight of going to eat on your birthday as a child, to the source of sheer embarrassment?) since we were the birthday boys. Of course it was embarrassing, but for free ice cream and sopapillas, I'll look like a fool in a big hat.
The pictures were taken on a camera phone, so they're not the greatest quality.
I know I look kinda douchey, but I was smiling for another camera when this one was taken (not to mention the fact that I have a big ole' sombrero on my head).

When I got home from work, I was pleasantly surprised to find that a couple of friends had come by to my apartment and left a treat for me. While at home I got a call from my Mom and Dad and also my sister, Kristine (my sister Amy emailed me, since her phone with my number is being used by my parents in SLC while they're down there for a while with my mom's bone marrow transplant--but that's an entirely different story--and she can't remember it, I'll take that as plenty good reason to not call). No word from Julie, but no surprise there.
Shortly after that, I walked over to FHE where they had a birthday cake. It was delightful. Amy had bought a carrot cake, which I like a lot (even though the rest of my family doesn't), and we played a spirited game of croquet. I hadn't played that for about 21 years, and my only experience was with a neighbor girl who probably mis-informed me of the rules and cheated so she could win, so I wasn't such a pro at it (p.s. I stink at put-put golf, so It was no surprise to me that I'm not too handy with a wooden mallet and balls).
After that, my buddy Kasey came by, and we had planned to use my DQ coupon for a free Blizzard (suggested by Shelley), but printer problems foiled that plan. We ended up buying pizza and ice cream, and played some mad Mario Kart.
So, that was my Birthday. It was nice. I've got to say that I know some of the coolest people. Thanks to everyone for making it a good day.

3 comments:

Jon said...

I mocked you via google chat, no word on whether or not you actually got my message...

shelleyjanae said...

I am glad that your birthday was happy even though you didn't get your free blizzard. Get that printer working and mosey on over to DQ before it expires!!

Sydney said...

Ok, so I know I'm a few days late, but Happy Birthday!!!