Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Who Cares, I Never Get Lonesome Cause I Treasure My Own Company"

I don't know if I've mentioned this, but since my girlfriend left me for Russia for the summer, I've been very bored. As a result, I have taken up a new hobby. Thanks to my roommate's being gone for the summer (thus making my summer even more boring) he has no use for his guitar for a couple of months. I've wanted to learn to play it for a while, and a good friend of mine is offering free introductory lessons, so in the past four weeks, I have been becoming quite the guitar pro. So, not really, but I have learned a lot, I have calloused finger tips and I have improved substantially--even being able to play a song or two. I'm stoked.
Anyway, as part of my not having much to do, I decided that I would finally go to a movie by myself. Plenty of people I know have done it, and do it often. I, however, have not been courageous enough to venture out to the theater by my onesies until today. I tackled going to a sit-down restaurant by myself last year before a doctors appointment (both are things that I didn't know if I would ever do by myself). I went to see Wall-E. It was a delightful film, but it made me miss a previously-mentioned person, who left me for Russia, a bunch. Though Wall-E and EVE were robots, I found their little romance rather charming, and the whole movie was just a lot of fun.
Turns out, I am a cheap date. I got a ticket, popcorn and a soda for $11. I may start to take myself out more often.
But, as I figure it, there's only about 16 days 'til Mel gets back (but who's counting?), thus ending my bored spell, and meaning we'll have to make up for a lack of adventures in the remaining weeks of summer once she returns. Any ideas are welcome.
Now, I'm off to practice the guitar again.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I take advantage of Friday Night Date Night and take myself out for dinner and a movie most weeks. Desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes...

shelleyjanae said...

Since your fingers are already calloused you could take up knitting or crocheting!! You can do it anywhere- while watching tv, in the car, at church! :)
I can't believe you ate at a sit down restaurant before going to a movie alone. I did my first movie alone over a year ago. But don't know if I will ever eat alone... in public.