Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Holier Than Thou

I've never really been big into LDS Church history, but judging by my summer, you might think that I was one of the Mormon fanatics who obsesses over this stuff--okay, not so much. But, considering my previous lack of interest, you'd be surprised to hear that I've been to not one, but two of what I would call the big four of the LDS Church hot spots outside of Utah here in the contiguous United States.
First, in June, my ward took a trip to Kirtland, which I wasn't totally stoked about, but decided to go check it out as sort of something to check off my list of things to do in my lifetime. I think that most Mormons have a sense that before they die, they should see Kirtland, OH and Nauvoo, IL definitely, and if they get a chance, Palmyra, NY, and the Missouri church-related spots (what I call the big four. Of course there's a couple others, but these are the biggies). I think it could be equated to the Muslim's pilgrimage to Mecca--except ours isn't a tenant of our religion. However, during the trip, I realized just how important the years in Kirtland were to the church. This is kind of where the church grew up, and where many important revelations were received.
So early on a Friday morning, we loaded up the buses (we travel in style), and made our way on the seven-hour journey.
See, stylin, along with Shelley, enjoying the picturesque scenery that is Ohio.

The first stop was the Johnson Farm, where Joseph Smith and Emma stayed for a while during their time in Kirtland. At one point this was the headquarters of the church. This is where the 76th section of the Doctrine and Covenants was received. The feeling there was great, it was a small witness, confirming again that what I believe is true.

After the farmhouse, we went to a bar-b-que that was thrown by the local single adults in the area. It was kinda lame, and I decided against posting the two photos I took there.

After the BBQ, we went back to the hotel, and since I had seen the pool, and knew that having about 75 people there wouldn't be all that fun, I went with some friends (Adam, Dan and Melissa) to the bowling alley across the street where we played pool.

After the revelry at the pool hall, we went back to the room and played a spirited game of spoons, which I won. And I thought for a minute there that I would surely lose. (Adam and Rich may look a little stoned, but they're not).The next morning, bright and early, we went to the temple and had a testimony sacrament meeting. All I can say about it was that it was truly amazing. Knowing the history of the spot, of the original dedication and all, helped to gain a new appreciation of it, and helped me to feel the Spirit in that meeting more strongly than I have in a very long time. It was truly beyond description.Adam, me and Kasey outside afterward

An artsy sort of pic of the temple

The Newell K. Whitney Store, where Joseph and Emma stayed for part of their time in Kirtland. It also housed the School of the Prophets. And that's our missionary tour guide and Sydney.

This room housed the School of the Prophets, and was where the Word of Wisdom was received.

We had lunch and went to one other farm before leaving but had a good time in Ohio. I am very glad I went.

Two weeks later, I went on another adventure involving church history. This time to Palmyra, the birthplace of Joseph Smith, and where the church began here in the states.


The childhood home of Joseph Smith

This is one picture from inside the Sacred Grove. It was an amazing feeling there. It was cool because in the group of people I was with at the time, we had people who had served missions, speaking three different languages. We each recited the First Vision in our respective language. It was pretty remarkable. I had told the experience probably over 1,000 times, and still know how to say it flawlessly in Portuguese, but I think that being in the place where it happened really seemed more profound than ever.
Trying to get an artsy photo inside the grove.

On top of the Hill Cummorah

After our whirlwind trip through Palmyra we packed in the Honda and drove back to Virginia. It was good times. So, though I don't think I had a proper appreciation for locations important to church history, I am certainly glad that I got a chance to visit these sites during this summer.
Since most people who read this are of my same faith, I didn't go into great detail about things that most already know. However, if you happed to read this and are completely confused, feel free to ask me a question anytime.

4 comments:

Jon said...

Vi um pilar, I mean coluna de luz...

Sydney said...

Fun pics. Sorry I walked into that one at the Whitney store house. Great face I'm making. Fun times had by all in Kirtland!!

Sydney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shelleyjanae said...

sorry my big ol' butt ruined your picture of the stylin' buses.