Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Recent Additions

Last week, I got to thinking (and we all know how dangerous that can be at times). I thought to myself, "Self, you haven't used your iTunes gift card that you got for Christmas yet." Then I realized that two bands I like had both recently released CDs and I could use it to buy at least one of those, so after much thought and deliberation, I decided to download Narrow Stairs by Death Cab for Cutie, which left $5.01 on the card. Since that wasn't enough for the other CD, and since I could get it on sale at Target for cheaper, I went there the next day and purchased Weezer's Red Album.

Critical Review:

Both offer very nice sounds. Neither is an aberration from their band's normal stylings, so as a fan I appreciate that, but would kind of like to hear a little more from them--I must note, however, I am not a die-hard fan of either group, and am not super-familiar with either group's earliest stuff.

Narrow Stairs, by Death Cab was not one that I popped into the CD player and instantly loved. I don't think any of their albums have been yet. However, in listening to it in my car during my commute (FYI, I don't Metro anymore--thank goodness), I have become a big fan of it. My favorite song is number seven, "Grapevine Fires." It's so smooth and cheerful. However, I do like other songs on there like "No Sunlight," "Your New Twin Size Bed" and "Long Division." I would say that the first radio release from the album, "I Will Possess Your Heart," is arguably the weakest song on the CD.

Weezer's self-titled Red Album is a catchy one. The first three songs are the best (my favorite of which is "Pork and Beans," which has the best music video to accompany it), and number four is really good. After that, they blend into the background in my office, so I can't tell you right off the top of my head if I like the rest of them a lot or whatnot. But I do like the CD as a whole.

Both CDs are really good, but I wouldn't say they're life-changing. They don't fit in the lines of say, Stadium Arcadium, by the Red Hot Chili Peppers or some of my other most-favorites. However, they are sure to get plenty of play time in my car and on my iPod.

So now I have five dollars left to use towards songs or an album on iTunes. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Jon said...

I had a dream last night that I took a job with the state dept doing software engineering and was excited to move to DC to chill with you.

Random.

Hey, I'm jealous that camisa da selecao you have in your pics, where can I get one??? ;)

Danielle said...

Very different feel from either Weezer or DCFC, but I'm a big fan of both (both are currently the most frequently played albums on my I-pod), but I'd suggest "Eve of Destruction" by Bishop Allen, "Vanishing Act" by Monster Movie, "The Love I'm Searching For" by The Rentals, and if you're REALLY not familiar with early Weezer stuff, "El Scorcho" off their Pinkerton album. Best song ever!