Sunday, June 8, 2008

I Heart New York

Two weekends ago for Memorial Day weekend, Melanie, her former roommate, Marin (Muh rin), and I went to the Big Apple and stayed with Melanie's sister, Amber and brother-in-law, Tim. Turns out it was a trip that the two had planned way before I was ever in the picture, but since Mel was leaving only a week after, I was able to work my way into the plans.
We left on Saturday morning, and got there in the afternoon after a decent bus ride. We went to Amber and Tim's, dropped our stuff off, and promptly went sight-seeing. First off, we went to Rockefeller Plaza and went to the "Top of the Rock," which I had never done before, and actually found preferable to the top of the Empire State Building.
Mel and Me on the top of the building

St. Patrick's Cathedral from above.

After we came down from the top, we went to the Nintendo World store. It was a nice chance to play the Wii, since I hadn't done it before. Now, I want to buy one more than ever.

Then to Times Square

While in Times Square we found Junior's, which has the most amazing cheesecake. I got Devil's Food, and the others got Carrot Cake cheesecake. It was just about life-changing. We walked to Bryant Park and rested our weary legs while enjoying some of our delectable treats.

View of the Chrysler building at sunset.

The next day we went to Central Park with Amber and Tim, had a picnic, and played frisbee for a while. Thousands of others had the same idea of going to the park to enjoy the amazing weather.

Marin, Tim, Amber and Mel

After Tim and Amber left, we went to further explore the park. This is my favorite bridge ever. and we got an adorable picture together. Don't mind that it looks like I've got a death grip on her.

After we left the park, I got a hold of a friend of mine from Brazil named Everton, who is here in the states, living in New York. We went to FAO Schwartz, and then to SOHO and Little Italy. We got pizza and then got some fantastic rice pudding at: The next day we went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

This was my third trip to Ellis Island, and the first time that I had looked at the museum stuff they had there (don't ask why, I don't know). It was fascinating. Probably one of my favorite things to have seen this time. After we got off the ferry, we went to see Wall Street, and Ground Zero. We then went to Amber and Tim's I said goodbye and went to get a bus home. Mel and Marin stayed another day so they could go see Wicked (the original purpose of their trip).
I think I really do heart New York. Definitely not a place I think I would like to live (who knows for sure), but it's a lot of fun to visit.

2 comments:

KaderTot said...

Isn't Juniors where we got cheesecake when we were there for New Year's? I'm pretty sure it was. The cops at the search spot kept saying whatever we got was the best...

Anonymous said...

AUGH!!! What is with the Langley Ward facial hair malfunctions?!?! Seriously!