Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Mormon Democrat?!! What Will They Think of Next?

You may not know this, but I am pretty cool. Okay, so maybe not. But I like to do things that to me seem cool. So as a Mormon Democrat who majored in Political Science, I am sure you can imagine how stoked I was to have a chance to go listen to Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid (D-NV) speak on Friday.
It was amazing. I even got to meet him and shake his hand. If I saw him tomorrow, he'd have no clue who I was, or that I had ever seen him before, but it was cool nonetheless. In the two second chat that I had with Senator Reid, I said "Hi, I am Darin from Brigham City, UT. Nice to meet you." To which, he responded, "Brigham City? Really? My wife worked at Thiokol." That was all, and he was off to say hello to the next person in line. (side note, the girl who snapped the photo was just a hair too late on the picture-taking) That was brush with greatness for last week. Besides the hasty meeting, his earlier comments were good. He talked about how his membership in the church (he's a Mormon, like me) has influenced his life in public service. I enjoyed his question and answer session too. I think he ticked off a bunch of Republicans (who assuredly comprised the bulk of the audience) , but I think that is part of his job description. It didn't bother me in the slightest, as I am unabashedly Democratic. It heartened me to think that though my church is predominately Republican, the highest-ranking member of the church in the federal government is a Democrat.
Anyway, that was only part of the evening. You see, I went to the event with a girl from my ward (her name isn't listed, as I am unaware of her thoughts of her name being posted in a blog as cool as this). After the shindig, we went to get something for dinner. We drove to Bailey's Crossroads and ate at Raaga, probably my favorite Indian restaurant around here. We had an engaging discussion about, among other things, all of the possibilities of the upcoming Harry Potter book (I told you I was cool) while dining on Chicken Tikka Masala, and Chicken Vindaloo. Mmmmmm Tasty!! And that, my friends, was my Friday night.
So, in my humble opinion, Indian food rocks, and a fun conversation with it makes it even better. Also, Harry Reid is cool. He's soft spoken, but don't think that means he's a pushover. He's a shrewd politician, and he's got a lot of fight in him. Plus I thought it amazing for someone who is in as powerful a position in government as he, but to know that he still has the same morals and values as me. That's pretty cool. And I say these things in the name of....Wait, wrong closing, The End!!

3 comments:

goo2girl said...

You are the coolest person I know. :)

Curtis said...

Wait... you're Mormon?! I feel deceived! You can't just hide those things from me.

Oh well, at least there are not others walking among us! :)

Jon said...

You look like you're about to orgasm in this pic, settle down boy! Its only Uncle Harry!