Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Don't Worry, I Am Still Alive


Dear Friends,

How have you been? I am well. I have had many an adventure as of late, and many people are nagging me to update about my life. And I, ever the people pleaser, will comply with these requests. Even though it is exceedingly late. I figure now is as good a time as any since I can't do this at work. I would, it's just the page doesn't respond to commands on my computer at work.
So since I have the life of a swinging single, I get to go on many an adventure with friends. Most of my outings involve people from church who are in a similar boat as I, being a twenty-something single adult in a very marriage happy church--but I digress.
Anyway, I wish to share some of the cool adventures I have taken in the past few weeks:

Take Me out To the Ball Game

I am not what you would call the biggest sports fan, but I do enjoy (watching mostly cause I stink at a lot of sports) a good game--Football, Basketball, Soccer, even Tennis. Baseball is a tough one to enjoy for me unless I happen to go, and then it is a lot of fun. And two weeks ago, I did just that. I went to see the Washington Nationals take on the Houston Astros. It was a pretty good game, and the Nats even won--imagine that. There was a guy who showed up who had season tickets from his work and let me go down to where they were with him and a couple other people. The view was great from there. Good times were had by all.

I Cannot Tell a Lie, Mt. Vernon Is Pretty Cool

So I won't even try. On Saturday, I got to go see the home of our first president, George Washington. It was a treat. The coolest part was the welcome video starring game show host extraordinaire Pat Sajak (check out his site. It's awesome! My favorite link is the "What's up with Pat?"). He gives you such an in-depth view of the farm that you hardly even need to look at the grounds, but of course you do because you paid $13 or $18 depending on if you get the year pass.

I've got to admit that it was pretty cool. It was awesome to think of the visitors who had been in that house, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, George Mason...and the list goes on.
Anyway, the only thing that kinda bugged me is how they made it sound like he was so benevolent because he was good to his slaves. I guess it's good that he was good to them, but I have an issue with the idea of someone (no matter how great he or she was) actually having another human being as their own property. I know that it was the way of life at the time, but it still bugs me. But I do still think he was an admirable man who did remarkable things to help form this great nation.

Luau!!

Later that night, I went to a Luau. It was put on by my church and there were hundreds of single adults from all around the DC area. It was good fun. The food situation sucked cause they made it sound like there would be a ton, and it would be good, but there wasn't much, and it wasn't all that great. But I'll stop complaining. They had some cool Polynesian dancers and the coolest was the guy who did a dance with fire.

Waiting until Dark to Watch "Wait until Dark"

Last adventure cause I am tired, I went to the Screen on the Green on the Mall tonight with some friends. They showed the classic suspense film "Wait Until Dark." It was a pretty good movie. I had watched it a month ago for the first time, but I was so tired that I fell asleep in the first half hour, and I didn't wake up until the last half hour, so I missed the bulk of what was going on. It's kinda like what Megan is doing here (look closely at her left eye). The best part was when the dude, though so weak that he must drag himself across the floor to try to attack the terrified Audrey Hepburn, he is able to muster up the strength to leap from the shadows just as the music makes some awful screeching noise. It made most of the audience jump. It was pretty funny. Don't worry, she lives.

So friends, that is a smattering of what I have been up since I last wrote anything. I hope you all enjoy. In my humble opinion, living in the DC area rocks! There is great stuff to do all the time. Also, though I think slavery was wrong, my opinion of George Washington is that he was a pretty good guy even though he owned people. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my thoughts on the latest HP book.

Sincerely,

Me

No comments: