Thursday, July 12, 2007

July Fourth Holiday Extrava-Danza!!






So, the Fourth of July is my favorite holiday. I think it has to do with the fact that it coincides with my other favorite day, my birthday (within a week at least). Washington DC is also a pretty cool place to be to celebrate the nation's birthday as well. This year was pretty fun--especially considering the day before I had no plans at all. In the morning, I went to a pancake breakfast, where I was invited with some folks to go to the parade in the city, and then we were to hang around the mall until it was time for the concert on the west lawn of the Capitol and the fireworks immediately afterward. I have to say that the parade was kinda lame. I think most parades are lame. But then again, I only caught the tail end of it. We went for lunch in one of the Smithsonian museums, which was a total rip off I think I paid about $14 for an all-American meal of a hot dog, fries, a coke and a cupcake. I was none-too-pleased. After that my real fun ensued. I played a game with my new digital camera, called "I know you're aiming for patriotic, but you really shouldn't." Boy did I find some doozies for red, white and blue outfits that day. These are only a few. The game continued throughout the afternoon while we were in line for the concert. However, our line was evacuated from the area due to "severe severe thunderstorms" in the area, and we were relocated to a parking facility. Finally we were let out and had to rush to get seats that were far worse than we would have got had we not been moved.

Then the show starts and the host is none other than television and Broadway fading star, Tony Danza. There were a few c-list celebrities who performed, the coolest of which was Little Richard. But, I have to say the show was mediocre at best.

While Bebe Neuwirth (Lilith Crane from Cheers and Frasier) was performing Cabaret, the fireworks started. Then the Orchestra tried to catch up with the 1812 Overture, which was pretty cool with the cannons. I liked the fireworks, but the lights on the Capitol were not dimmed in the slightest, so it did not make for good pictures. In fact, none of mine turned out well.

Afterward, the gang went to Ihop and enjoyed a delicious meal--for Ihop that is-- served to us by Leticia. She has been my server each of the past three times that I have been there. Though she speaks little English, she is very kind. I try to tip her well--for Ihop that is.

In my humble opinion, the Fourth of July is the coolest holiday ever--way to go founding fathers!! However, it is not worth the crowds and mess to see the concert at the Capitol because it makes the fireworks less enjoyable.

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Yay! So much fun! Those patriotic outfits turned out very well!

Joy said...

One of my favorite things about DC is how many people feel like they need to wear red white and blue...starting the week before and the week afterward.