Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Grasshoppers Part Deux

So remember when I went to get grasshopper tacos after the worst movie ever about a month and a half ago? Well, I did it again. I was telling a friend about the original experience, and she seemed a little intrigued by the the idea of eating grasshoppers--that is to say more so than grossed out, like most of the other people at the party. She said that we should go get them sometime. So we did. We met in the District near Chinatown, and we walked to Oyamel, the restaurant, to partake of the little critters. I have got to tell ya, this is a happening place. It's a pretty cool atmosphere. A little loud, but nice nonetheless. We had to wait a little bit for a table for two on a Tuesday night, but the wait was well worth it. I had a great time. It's sort of a tapas-style place. We got some other small dishes to share, and we shared the Taco de Chapulines. I think the taco was better this time. It was actually really good. My friend enjoyed it too. For me, I think it was mostly because I was less apprehensive about actually eating the thing. Sadly, I forgot to take my camera, and as such, missed on the opportunity to share more photos of the tasty treat.
The dinner conversation was very entertaining. We swapped roommate horror stories, and in the process we found that we have a mutual acquaintance back in Utah whom we both loathe.
When it came time to leave we walked to the Metro stop and caught the tail end of the Navy band performing Big Yellow Taxi (of all songs). And that is where this tale ends. We separated at L'Enfante Plaza, she going one way, I another. But, I think good times were had by all.
So, in my humble opinion, Tacos de Chapulines from Oyamel are a tasty treat that people should try. They aren't anything like what you would imagine. And who knows, you might just find you like them.

1 comment:

Joy said...

The navy band plays big yellow taxi? That's odd on several levels. If Joni were in a grave, she'd be rolling over.