Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Vote "That One" 08

Last night, in case you missed it. John McCain showed what could be his most un-presidential behavior yet. Never mind the lies and mudslinging that are defining his campaign of late. In the debate, rather than calling Senator Obama by his title, or by his name even, he referred to him as "that one." He didn't even look at him, and just pointed across his chest at Senator Obama. "Well," you might say, "why is that so wrong?" Here's why it's wrong:
The fact of the matter is that the McCain camp knows that based on the issues alone, they've lost this race. Their own campaign admitted this last week. They have proven to the American people that they have no substance. So, in their attempts to make this a race about character, they're pulling out all the stops. This, I'm sure, is only the beginning. They're gonna continue to paint Obama as different--(not so)subtly reminding us that he's black. They will try to dehumanize him. Look, quite overtly here Sen McCain has refused to aknowledge that his opponent is even a human being. "That one." Shame on you Senator McCain.
This is all part of their campaign now. Sarah Palin is now going around the country saying "Our opponent doesn't see America the way that I [or you] see it." She means this negatively, but I think that really, Obama doesn't see America the way Sarah or John do. He sees America as a light to other countries--a beacon of hope. He sees a land of peace and prosperity, where oportunities abound and the American dream is real. But Sarah won't tell you that. She spouts off discretited rhetoric and lies, stirring the crowd up to anger. Now at rallies, shouts of "terrorist," and "kill him" are being heard regularly, speaking of Obama. No, Sarah Palin, no, John McCain, no, Repulicans, that is not the America that I love!! Maybe hatred and anger are how you see America, but it's an entirely different view than what Barack Obama has, and it's entirerly different from what I see and the vision Senator Obama has for the future.
Their attempts to point out Obama's "otherness" are pathetic. He's a stronger candidate, and they look weak. They show they are desperate and will stoop to any level to try to win. I hope Americans are noticing. As McCain himself once said "if all you run is negative attack ads, it shows you don't have much of a vision for the future." Well, Senator, you're complete lack of honor shows that you have sold your soul, and that you have absolutely no plan for the future.

1 comment:

Chris Terrell said...

I unfortunately agree with a lot of the things that you say about John McCain. There were many reasons I did not like him in the primaries and those reasons still are around. I can't stand his dirty tactics, and condescending tone to everyone. He conducts himself very poorly in front of a large group no question there. His lack of respect towards his opponent is disgusting. You don't have to like him, but treat him with respect.

Quite frankly I don't like him at all and I don't really want to vote for him. The really unfortunate part, at least for me is, I can't Vote for Obama because I dis-agree with some of his major policies.

I know that you are an Obama supporter, and I am glad that you have a candidate that represents your views. I just wish that I had the same thing. The Republican Party is really falling apart and this election is a good example of that. Too many of them have sold their souls, and this sadly is on both sides.

to wrap up though, as I said I think you are right on with your opinion that he is not a good choice. I just wish Obama represented a few more of my major views and I would vote for him no problem.