Friday, October 17, 2008

Rise and Shout, the Cougars Are Out

So, we'll take a breif sojourn away from the campaign world today.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I have an irrational hatred of Brigham Young University. The odd thing is, most of my best friends went to that school. I like them. I am an active member of the church that runs the school. However, I never had any desire to attend the place, and to this day, I am very happy I didn't. I went to BYU's rival, the University of Utah, and as a UTE, I root for the U and anyone who is playing BYU.
I think it's something that was bred into me. My mother did graduate from the U, and I think that is why I decided to go there. However, it wasn't just that. Coming from Utah and being Mormon, there is a mindset that accompanies attending BYU. It's like people there (at least) feel that they are on a higher spiritual plane than those who don't. So that's where our hatred comes from. It's the disdain with which that BYU fans look at the University of Utah.
There are often occasions in which a student or alum of that school will refer to it as "the Lord's University," or talk about the "coffee swillers" up at the University of Utah. And the funny thing is that anyone who doesn't have their head in the sand knows that the same stuff that goes on at the U or any other college campus can be found going on at BYU--it's just that it's all in secret there.
Last year, after the BYU-Utah game, their receiver, Austin Collie, made a dumb ass comment, saying ultimately that when you obey God's will, he'll step in during a football game to help you win. Which angered me because a) why would the Almighty give a hoot in hell about a d a m n football game, and b) it implies that they are holy because they are Mormon and the University of Utah is not--sorry buddy, you're in Utah, no matter where you go, you'll find good Mormons and jack mormons. So there are probably both on both teams.
All that being said, it is with glee that I report that I watched the Cougars from BYU get trounced by the TCU Horned Frogs last night. I was going to be a causal observer since the five other people in my front room went to BYU and were fans, but when they fumbled (or was it an interception?) on their first drive and TCU scored. I was ecstatic, and could not hide my emotion. They ultimately ended up losing, 32-7, which only begs the question, What have you been doing Austin?
In gloating like this, I am only setting myself and my team up for failure. But I can't help but be happy that I can finally feel justified in thinking that BYU has been overrated (last season definitely) and their true colors showed last night.
So, let's got Utes. Kick some horned toad hiney when they come to Salt Lake, and then do the same to the school down south.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your feelings about BYU are totally irrational. I hope you are aware of that. Not that everything and everyone is wonderful, but it is irrational to despise them so thoroughly.

Esp. since not one of your arguments is orginial, they are all messages spun by the BYU detractors media machine.