Saturday, April 5, 2008

Luray Caverns

I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I had three adventures to post about. I meant to do that quickly, however an unforeseen trip to Utah for my grandmother's funeral interrupted those plans. So here is adventure No. 02 from two weeks ago. Melanie and I went to see the Luray Caverns in the Shenandoah mountains. They were pretty darned cool. Check out these pics.


We had a very nice, but slightly annoying tour guide. She had a grating voice, but she knew a lot about the caves and the various stalactites/stalagmites. However, her descriptions of some took quite a stretch of the imagination.

Totem Poles

They called this the "Shaggy Dog" (questionable at best)

Watch your head! These caves aren't very considerate to those who are more than six feet tall.

This reflecting pool is only 18 inches deep, but it looks like it's about six feet at places.

The lady who took this picture, bless her heart, didn't get how to use my camera, so she kinda took it when we weren't quite ready. I didn't ask her to take another, fearing it would take longer, but this is by the wishing well there. They've donated $700k to various charities from other people's wishes. (I totally was thinking of the Goonies the whole time I was in the cave)Bacon (I don't see it either, but that's what the tour guide said)

Sunny-side up eggs (yummy!)

Ice cream or a cupcake, whichever you choose (no wonder why I was so hungry when our tour was done.
Tasty, tasty geology

You can't really tell from the picture, but this looks like curtains.

After the caverns, we went to the car and carriage museum that they have next door, since it was included in the price of the admission to the caverns. They did have some cool antique autos, but I took far more pictures of the creepy looking mannequins. Here are some of them for your enjoyment: This guy kinda reminded me of a boss I once had. He looked a lot like this when he would come rolling in the parking lot in his Cadillac. Disturbing, but a sweet hat nonetheless
Hello Corn Children

How romantic, one of the weirdest displays, I thought.

Creepy, and there were many more, but I haven't the dedication to add them.

Did I mention this was in rural-ish Virginia? And why wouldn't you have a giant rooster in your yard if you live in the country? I was only surprised to not see a Confederate flag on display as well.

I hope you enjoyed my visit to Luray. I know I did.

2 comments:

KaderTot said...

I can see how it could be bacon...or at least the nasty grease dripping off from such.

Shelley said...

My friend and I didn't go to the museum... but now I wish I did. Those are some creepy mannequins. Thanks for sharing!