Sunday, August 12, 2007

I Survived the Ghosts of Gettysburg Tours!!



Some of you may not know this about me, but I generally have a tendency to believe what people tell me when they say that they have experinced ghost sightings and whatnot. I (not so) secretly have a desire to actually see one. That being said, why would I not want to go to what has been said to be the most haunted place in America to try to find a floating phantasmic friend. So that is what I aimed to do last Saturday on an attempt for fun adventure. In the end, it turned out to be an exciting evening. However at first, I was afraid that the fates were conspiring against me to ruin it all. You see, the plan was to pick up this evening's adventure buddy, who we'll call Katie (since that is her name), at 5:15. She lives about ten minutes away, so I was sure that leaving at 5:00 on a saturday afternoon would allow enough time to make it to her house. Little did I know that most of Northern Virginia would be heading west at that exact time. The traffic on I-66 was bumper-to-bumper for the entire six miles. I called and said that I was going to be a few minutes late. You can imagine my relief when I finally exited the freeway and started toward her house. The relief was short-lived when I got to the street needed to access her house, and found that it had been closed in both directions due to an accident. Once again I called Katie and got directions for a big loop to take me around another way. This was all good and well until I hear the beep of my phone telling me that it's battery is low. "How could that be?" you may ask, "why didn't [I] charge [my] phone?" I did. It had just been acting up all week, and chose to do it again. Luckily I made it to her house only 30 minutes late and we were on our way to historic Gettysburg PA.

When we arrived in the town, we were only about 40 minutes from the time of our scheduled ghost tour. Knowing that there was not time to have a meal, but myself being hungry, I suggested that we go to this quaint little ice cream shop in town, hoping that a tasy treat from there would hold us over until the end of the tour. So we went and got their specialty, a chocolate malt. I opted to add a banana to mine (I wouldn't want to be unhealthy now), and boy-oh-boy was it good.

After that, we went to meet our group for our tour. The lovely lady in the picture is our tour guide, Anne. On the tour she shared with us many stories of supposed hauntings and spooky incidences that have happened on or around Seminary Ridge in Gettysburg. She suggested that we take many pictures because there have been many people on the tours who have captured ghostly images in their photos, and she shared some experiences of guests to the tour, saying that oftentimes, the "soldiers" would be interested in teen-aged and twenty-something young women. Considering that my companion for the evening fit into that demographic, I knew that I was going to be having some fun that night--though I did it like twenty times, I never got tired of running my finger through her hair and making her jump. I ended up taking a lot of pictures, and I was super-stoked to see what I thought was a person/ghost in a picture. However, upon further investigation, the ghost turned out to be a stop sign.

Anne was a great guide she showed us some cool sights, this house actaully has a cannon ball from the battle left in the wall. But also, she reminded us that there was a meteor shower that night, and that the ridge was a good place from which to view it, which we ended up doing. Before the meteor shower, however, we went to Pangs Restaurant and had Sushi--in Gettysburg, weird, no? Though an odd place to get Sushi, I assure you, it was very tasty. This picture was in the men's room their. I found it very strange that this is what they put on the wall in the restroom.

The meteor shower was fun. We saw a couple, but not nearly as many as I had read there would be. After watching for meteors for a while, we decided that it was time to head home. On the walk to the car, we saw a person across the street who may or may not have been the ghost I was hoping to see. He walked behind a bush when we were getting in the car, and when we drove off, he had seemingly disappeared. There wasn't really anywhere that he could have gone.

So, in sum, the Ghosts of Gettysburg Tour was fun, and I am a survivor indeed. In my humble opinion, it's the best ghost tour that I have been on, and I have been on a few--well maybe two, but it was better than the ghost tour in Alexandria, VA.

2 comments:

Joy said...

I went 5 years ago to the ghosts of gettysburg tour. It was the day before graduation at the college, so it was a party, and our tour guide was more interested in telling us re-enactment stories than ghost stories. However, he told us some great stories.

Sydney said...

How adventurous!! I went to the screen on the green on monday and laid down for a bit and saw three meteors!! and in DC!! I was pleasantly suprised. I love meteor showers!