Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Sending Our Love (and Money) down the Well


Okay, so I am a little miffed right now. I just finished reading a story about someone who most Americans won't know by name. However, I would dare say that most Americans over the age of 25 know who she is, and may even feel a slight connection to her. You see, it was 20 years ago this week that Jessica McClure wandered away and fell into a well in her (or possibly a neighbor's, I'm not too sure) backyard. She was stuck underground in an eight inch pipe, and rescuers worked around the clock for 58 hours to free her while an American audience watched the harrowing experience unfold on their television screens.
Luckily, all went well. Baby Jessica, then 18 months old, was freed from her three-day prison with minimal injuries. A photo of the rescue won a Pulitzer Prize, a made-for-tv movie was made about the event (Patty Duke starred--that was big time in the eighties), if I am not mistaken, there was a semi-parody of the event on the Simpsons, and thousands of "well-wishers" (pun intended I am sure) sent donations to her family. These donations have been put into a trust fund that will mature in 3 1/2 years when Jessica, now a married mother of a baby boy named Simon, will turn 25. The estimated value of the fund is $1 Million.
Now here is where I take issue with this tale. I am certainly glad that she was rescued. I am glad that she has had the chance to live a full, healthy life. But for crying out loud, where is the reward for those of us who managed to make it through the eighties unscathed. I see this as rewarding her parents for irresponsibility. Now, because they let their little girl wander off (or worse yet, knowingly let her play by a dangerous well), she and her child are set for life. I read the article, and it reports that she has no memory of the event. I wouldn't be surprised if she's a little claustrophobic, but is it worth $1 Million? My humble opinion is no. Seriously, give me a hole to fall into, if I can get a cool million after all is said and done, I'd be happy for the experience.

No comments: