Monday, October 29, 2007

Obscure Anniversaries

Okay, so today marks two separate anniversaries from the past two years. One is the particular day of the week, and the other is the actual date.

If You Get Caught Between Some Thugs and New York City

First off, two years ago on October 28-29, I was en route to Boston when I was mugged. A fellow intern and I had a brief stop in NYC while waiting for our transfer bus. Since the Port Authority bus terminal is located right next to Times Square, we decided to go check it out. This was my first time to set foot in New York and Chris' second time there. I kid you not, that I had been in the city for fifteen minutes when I called 911 to tell them I had been mugged. Everything turned out well. The fine men and women of the NYPD apprehended the thugs who accosted my friend and me, but they say they never found my $20. So I was out a wallet (kept for evidence, but all inside was returned) and a bus ticket. But I got to continue onto Bean town and had a great time there. Now, every time that I go to the Big Apple, I take the people with me to show them the exact spot where the crime took place. The thing that pissed me off the most was that one guy, who actually stole stuff from Chris started running away, turned around and came to me, swore at me and punched me. He didn't need to do that. However, that only helped me to better identify him when he was apprehended. It also got him increased charges.

Blind Melon

Now, last year: It was the second Monday on my job. I had to go to the store to buy apple cider for an FHE activity. Tonight is the Monday after my 1 year anniversary at my job. You see, that night, I think I became the worst person in the world officially. When I was walking back to the metro to take the cider to the church, I came across a blind man. He was walking with his stick to help him I was in a hurry, and I tried to get well out of his way. The thing is, those little sticks have quite the range. The man stuck it right between my legs mid-stride. When I took my next step, there was a SNAP and then the stick came out of the blind man's hand. He cussed. I apologized, and picked up the limp, broken stick and returned it to him. I believe I missed the train that was coming and just went to my platform. A few minutes later I saw him descend the stairs, having managed to fix his walking utensil. I felt bad, and then I felt worse cause I laughed at the situation. I saw him once more, but that's it. I guess I can take comfort in the fact that he can't see me. However, up to this day. I try to stay far away from blind people whenever I see them. When they are near me I say to myself "go away, don't you know I am dangerous?" I actually saw a blind man getting off the Metro, and that is what made me remember the momentous occasion of this anniversary. On a side note, I had a friend in high school who's mother was (I assume she still is) blind. She was a dear, sweet lady. I only spoke with her a couple of times, but when I would talk with her, I always noticed that she would say "it's nice to see you again." I would think "but wait...?" Then I would quietly chuckle to myself.
So, in my humble opinion, the NYPD has great men and women working for them. Also, I hope that hell is a lovely place as I am almost assuredly going to spend my eternities there.

No comments: