Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Getting to Know...Well, Me

For a glimpse into my soul, check this out. (then return to finish reading here)
Those of you who read this regularly could probably point out several typos in past posts, and probably some in this one. My love of proper grammar is more of the verbal sense--though I do often look for errors in others' writing (in fact, I've even done it to scriptures, both in English and Portuguese. And yes, there are mistakes in there). I think that finding typographical errors and verbal faux pas (how would you pluralize that?) gives me some sort of adrenaline rush. So I do it whenever I can, much to the annoyance of those around me. My best friends and I often get into mini-tiffs over the correct usage of certain words. As a matter of fact, last week, I was on the phone with Kade, and he used a word incorrectly. He knew it (as evidenced by his brief pause after using it), and tried to let it slide, but being the good friend I am, I could not let that happen, nor could I let a chance to show that I knew something that he (at that moment--to a certain extent) did not.
So that's one of my many delightful quirks. I hope you feel closer to me now.
As a side note, the "Stuff White People Like" blog should be more like "Stuff Uppity White People Like." I could guarantee you that there are plenty of white folk who don't like (or even know about) half the stuff on there. Most of them living below the Mason-Dixon Line, with more children than they have teeth. But, as I am kinda uppity, it fits me.

2 comments:

KaderTot said...

A few things come to mind after reading your blog and the white people blog:
1) I live farther below the Mason-Dixon line than you, thus I am excused in my one very brief moment of incorrect grammar. And, I don't have children but do have all of my teeth--a beautiful set at that.
2)You do indeed make many, many typos. You are not wrong there, friend.
3)Having a B.S. in English and being white, I can dictate a rule here that officially makes the plural of "faux pas", "faux pie". It sounds tastier too.
4)As per the white people blog, I do indeed think of myself as most superior as, get this...(are you getting?)...I found a typo on the front cover of Forbes! Yes, it's true. AND, I found a typo on the side of a Triscuit box and called the company to let them know about it. They apologized for the inconvenience and offered to send a free box of crackers. I told them the crackers were just fine--it was the spelling that sucked.

That is all.

Anonymous said...

Reading yours and Kade's comments here, I don't know who is "the most superior"! LOL
Anyway, I don't think it's all about white people! I'm undergraduated in Portuguese and I can tell you I love reading a well-written text (in terms of grammar, vocabulary, etc)... but I think this blog was extreme, in a way! I believe that there are people from other race, age and different backgrounds who also appreciate and like proofreading! I can tell you that Kade does, since he helped me, proofreading my résumé last year and he did a very good job! - although I believe my teeth look much more beautiful than his ;) LOL (Ok... Now, I know I'm in his bad list because of this comment... but let it alone! LOL He's been in my very very bad list for "decades", you know Darin? *looking like an angel*
And I agree with you, too! I've also seen MANY MANY mistakes in our "Livro de Mórmon" and "Doutrina & Convêniod", for example...!
Great post!!! Pretty intriguing and interesting!!!
How are things with you?