Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hooray Summer!!

I used to hate summer. Probably because my mom always complained about the heat. True in Utah it does get hot, but nothing like here in Virginee. Today it was 94 degrees+ and it was super humid. It was about like walking into a sauna when I left my office for lunch and to go home. But, I figure that today is about as bad as I remember it getting, and it was bearable.

I guess another reason why I didn't appreciate (let's say) summer is because my family is super boring, and we never did anything fun. Our most exciting trip would be our annual trek here. Sure I liked Lava Hot Springs, well once we got there. It was always a mess to try to get there. My mom would load up an entire house to go to our completely furnished condo. It would really piss me and my dad off, but I digress. It was fun when I was a kid, and I still would enjoy going for a day, but to look back, they were pretty lame "vacations" we had.

Now that I am a grown-up, I can go on my own vacation, like what I did two weeks ago for Memorial Day weekend. I went with some friends, and a huge flock of other Mormons to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. And I must say that I heart the Outer Banks.

We packed up Megan's Carolla, Olive, and left on Friday at about two in the afternoon. Other than a bit of traffic about 45 minutes out, it was smooth sailing and we made it to our weekend house in about five hours, which really is great time.


The picture shows just how close we really were to the beach. Sure our house wasn't a freaking mansion like many of the other people stayed in, but it was cheaper and it meant that we crossed the street and we were at the beach.



So Saturday was mostly spent at the beach from morning through mid-afternoon. After that, we took off to do some sight seeing. We first thought to go to the Wright Brother's memorial but it was closing, and we couldn't get in. This didn't break my heart, cause they were going to charge us, and I had seen it last summer while there. So we decided to drive further south, and about 1 1/2 hours(and about five packs of bubble yum later), we got to the Cape Hatteras light house.











Later, we went to dinner and only waited for an hour to be seated instead of waiting at Dirty Dick's crab house for at least two.

Sunday included beach-going, and a riviting game of Beyond Balderdash, which, coincidentally, I won.
Monday meant some more fun at the beach and was my official introduction into skim-boarding, which is really fun (even though I can't really do it). In trying to learn it, I got a couple of battle wounds on each leg.

I have to say that the Memorial Day weekend was awesome. I don't think the enjoyment of the impromptu funeral service for Aunt Mary's cremated ashes in Grouse Creek two years ago can even compare to this one--close but not quite. It was a sad day when we had to once agian load up Olive and return to the real world. In my humble opinion, the beach is amazing, and having a holiday weekend to enjoy it is even better.












No comments: